Polk County, FL
(Roads & Drainage / Roadway Maintenance)
Pay Range: $11.21/hr. ($23,316.80 annually)
Shift: Monday - Thursday or Tuesday - Friday, 7:00 AM- 5:30 PM
Location: Polk County (Multiple Worksites)
*** This position is covered by a collective bargaining agreement ***
Must have the physical, developmental and mental ability to perform job tasks, work efforts, responsibilities and duties of the job illustrated below:
Unskilled manual labor performing light and heavy construction and maintenance roadway tasks.
Works on patch truck, works with shoulder crew as well as finishing crew, performing the following tasks:
· Patches holes in the road with asphalt, rock and other materials; rakes asphalt, digs, and fills holes/construction projects using shovel and other hand tools.
· Clears brush for the right of ways, drainage ditches and roadway areas using sling blades and other hand tools.
· Removes refuse from rights-of- way and grounds by hand or a litter stick.
· Flags and directs traffic.
· Fills and stacks sandbags.
· Lifts and carries twenty-five (25) pound cement blocks used in construction and maintenance work.
· Lifts, carries, and assists with the positioning and placement of culvert pipes.
· Assists with wood construction and with mixing and pouring concrete.
· Loads and unloads materials/supplies from trucks and vans.
Uses hand tools, may operate power tools and temporarily operate light equipment (i.e.: water truck, road mixer, flatbed truck and rubber tire roller). May assist others to check grade stakes.
Performs unskilled labor tasks as assigned in general maintenance, repair or construction trade duties. On county properties: sweeps walks, removes refuse from grounds, cuts, trims, waters, and fertilizes lawns and bushes, uses push and power lawn mowers, performs custodial work for county buildings as necessary. May assist in moving furniture or equipment and large bulky objects. May flag and direct traffic.
Performs related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS
· Ability to perform unskilled manual labor.
· Ability to see, hear sounds at a normal level, ambulate independently, bend, stoop, sit or stand.
· Ability to use multi-hand and/or foot controls.
· Ability to perform tasks that require eye and hand coordination.
· Ability to work in all weather and environmental conditions (i.e.: sun, rain, cold, swamp, ditches, dirt, and hot asphalt).
· Must be able to exert up to forty-five (45) pounds of force frequently, and/or 10-20 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
· Should be able to add subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure.
· Ability to follow instructions and concentrate on assigned tasks.
· Ability to learn to use tools and equipment as well as the occupational hazards and safety precautions applicable to laboring tasks.
· Must be able to read, write, and speak the English language in an understandable manner.
No experience required.
Must possess a valid driver's license and be able to secure a valid Florida driver's license at the time of employment.
This position may be required to report for work when a declaration of emergency has been declared in Polk County.